While most of the toys we carry at She Bop are made from silicone and ABS plastic, there are a number of other body-safe materials we have in the shop that pique the interest of our customers. One of those eye-catching materials is stainless steel — an ultra shiny, non-porous, and beautiful metal that has many benefits. In fact, stainless steel has a bit of a cult following among sex toy connoisseurs, in large part because of these advantages.
They’re artistic. Stainless steel sex toys are carefully crafted instruments of pleasure that also look like they could be valuable pieces of art. They are striking, creatively designed, and can be polished to a mirror shine that dazzles in the light. They also make impressive gifts — like these ultra-cool looking Stainless Steel Claws or the njoy toys, which come in their own satin-lined black boxes.
They’re compatible with all lubricants. Silicone-based, water-based, oil-based, hybrid — every type of lube is compatible with stainless steel! Stainless steel is non-porous and will not absorb lubricant, which makes for an effortless glide and means a just a few drops of lube will go a long way.
Temperature play! Much like glass, stainless steel holds temperatures very well, so there is the option of heating up and cooling down your favorite toys. To change the temperature of a steel toy, submerge it in a bowl of warm or cool water for about five minutes prior to use. You may also wrap your stainless steel toys in a hot towel to warm them to your liking. Just remember these safety tips: always test the toy’s temperature on your wrist before inserting, do not freeze, and never put your steel toys in the microwave or oven.
Perfect for G-spot and prostate stimulation. There is really nothing else quite like the weight and incredibly smooth glide of stainless steel. Steel toys offer frictionless penetration and movement, especially when lube is added, which means they are great for applying firm and consistent pressure to the G-spot and prostate. This feature explains why toys like the njoy Pure Wand have a reputation for body-melting orgasms, and even enabling people to squirt.
They’re heavy — and for some people that’s great! Stainless steel tends to be one of the heaviest sex toy materials around, which means it might not be the best fit for someone with wrist pain, arthritis, or weakness in their hands. But for those who prefer heavier toys, the heft of stainless steel can provide extra stimulation, and many fans of the material say that they like the feeling of fullness it provides.
For example, stainless steel butt plugs may stay in place better than butt plugs of other materials, even if someone is wearing one while walking around or during orgasm (and the feeling of muscles contracting around a warm, weighted steel plug may take orgasms to new heights).
Additionally, stainless steel dildos can work well for vaginal massage and for kegel exercises. Toys like the njoy Fun Wand may be inserted vaginally to help tone the PC muscles. Kegel exercises may be done by squeezing and releasing around each bulb of the Fun Wand, starting with the larger end of the toy and working up to the more challenging smaller end.
They’re hygienic and easy to clean. There’s a reason stainless steel is used so often in hospitals and kitchens — it’s completely non-porous and can resist corrosion and rust with minimal care. This means that it is a breeze to clean! Simply wash steel toys with hand soap and warm water and dry with a clean cloth or towel. Do not use anything abrasive on steel and do not wash in the dishwasher (detergent and excessive humidity may corrode the metal). When drying and/or polishing, wipe in the directions of the polish lines for extra shine. Microfiber cloth tends to work especially well for drying and polishing.
They’ll be yours for life. If you love your stainless steel toys and follow the simple rules to clean and care for them, they will last a very long time. They are phthalate-free (like all the toys we carry) and will not fade or break down. Just store your steel toy in a padded bag (such as our locally-made Appetite bags) to protect it from bumps and scratches, and take care while washing, as it can get very slippery. Losing your grip may not harm the toy much itself, but the weight of the steel could put cracks in your sink or floor tiles if dropped!
While some may find the weight and polished look of stainless steel a bit surgical or intimidating, others love it exactly for those reasons, and all of the reasons above. While no sex toy material in the world is perfect for everyone, stainless steel can be an excellent investment if you are looking for a beautiful toy that is smooth, heavy, and lasts a lifetime.
Welcome to She Bop’s blog!
She Bop is a women-owned sex toy boutique specializing in body safe products and education. Our mission is to promote healthy and safe sexuality by offering quality products and educational workshops in a fun and comfortable environment. She Bop welcomes people of all genders and sexual orientations.
- April 26, 2017 – Exploring Burlesque: Striptease Salon
- May 4, 2017 – Beyond Monogamy
- May 17, 2017 – Wet & Wild: G-spot and Squirting Orgasms
- June 1, 2017 – Back That Ass Up!: Anal Sex 101
- June 4, 2017 – Curvy Girl Sex: Body Positive Positions to Empower Your Sex Life
- June 11, 2017 – Sex and Survivorship: Navigating Sex After Cancer
- July 2, 2017 – Your Gender is Awesome: A Class for Trans Youth
- A film crew has blocked off parts of Mississippi Ave this morning. They should be done in an hr. We recommend parking near N. Borthwick Ave!
- Today is the last day to support @CalltoSafety by shopping with us. 10% of your purchase goes to their amazing work. https://t.co/dzkMi7Vmzh
- If you've been interested in kegel balls but unsure about the cost, these are very reasonable at only $26! NICE! https://t.co/0fZBY5rgc0
- Do you have a trans, gender variant, or genderqueer youth in your life? We have a new class just for under-18 peeps! https://t.co/8dLHndMSFa
- Have you been to Whoopee! yet? We spoke with show creator, @Amory_Jane, about her sex-positive variety show! https://t.co/oPAVcQUdq0
- 10% Tuesday is upon us! Visit us in person or shop online today & 10% of our sales will be donated to @CalltoSafety. https://t.co/dzkMi7Vmzh
- Orgasms will not be mythical with the Unicorn Wand! We could not resist this powerful vibe with unicorn attachment. https://t.co/BCf2iMTMm8
- We know how much you've been clamoring for a G-spot and squirting class! @stellaerotica is teaching one in May! https://t.co/8JmtMTTWYU
- Looking for a set of introductory vibrating anal beads? @rocksoffltd's Petite Sensations Beads might fit the bill! https://t.co/Q55aiWJ2Tr
- Want to support the life-saving services offered by @CalltoSafety? 10% of our sales will be donated to them today. https://t.co/dzkMi7Vmzh
- Basic Rights Oregon
- Bitch Magazine
- Bradley Angle
- BUST Magazine
- Dirty Playground
- In Other Words
- LGBTQ Student Resources & Support
- Mississippi Studios
- Orchestre L'Pow!
- Pants-Off Productions
- Portland Oregon Women's Film Festival
- Portland Women's Crisis Line
- Progressive Pleasure Club
- Pucker Up
- Q Center
- Queer Resource Center
- Quest Center for Integrative Health
- Raphael House
- The Portland Mercury