While most of the toys we carry at She Bop are made from silicone and ABS plastic, there are a number of other body-safe materials we have in the shop that pique the interest of our customers. One of those eye-catching materials is stainless steel — an ultra shiny, non-porous, and beautiful metal that has many benefits. In fact, stainless steel has a bit of a cult following among sex toy connoisseurs, in large part because of these advantages.
They’re artistic. Stainless steel sex toys are carefully crafted instruments of pleasure that also look like they could be valuable pieces of art. They are striking, creatively designed, and can be polished to a mirror shine that dazzles in the light. They also make impressive gifts — like these ultra-cool looking Stainless Steel Claws or the njoy toys, which come in their own satin-lined black boxes.
They’re compatible with all lubricants. Silicone-based, water-based, oil-based, hybrid — every type of lube is compatible with stainless steel! Stainless steel is non-porous and will not absorb lubricant, which makes for an effortless glide and means a just a few drops of lube will go a long way.
Temperature play! Much like glass, stainless steel holds temperatures very well, so there is the option of heating up and cooling down your favorite toys. To change the temperature of a steel toy, submerge it in a bowl of warm or cool water for about five minutes prior to use. You may also wrap your stainless steel toys in a hot towel to warm them to your liking. Just remember these safety tips: always test the toy’s temperature on your wrist before inserting, do not freeze, and never put your steel toys in the microwave or oven.
Perfect for G-spot and prostate stimulation. There is really nothing else quite like the weight and incredibly smooth glide of stainless steel. Steel toys offer frictionless penetration and movement, especially when lube is added, which means they are great for applying firm and consistent pressure to the G-spot and prostate. This feature explains why toys like the njoy Pure Wand have a reputation for body-melting orgasms, and even enabling people to squirt.
They’re heavy — and for some people that’s great! Stainless steel tends to be one of the heaviest sex toy materials around, which means it might not be the best fit for someone with wrist pain, arthritis, or weakness in their hands. But for those who prefer heavier toys, the heft of stainless steel can provide extra stimulation, and many fans of the material say that they like the feeling of fullness it provides.
For example, stainless steel butt plugs may stay in place better than butt plugs of other materials, even if someone is wearing one while walking around or during orgasm (and the feeling of muscles contracting around a warm, weighted steel plug may take orgasms to new heights).
Additionally, stainless steel dildos can work well for vaginal massage and for kegel exercises. Toys like the njoy Fun Wand may be inserted vaginally to help tone the PC muscles. Kegel exercises may be done by squeezing and releasing around each bulb of the Fun Wand, starting with the larger end of the toy and working up to the more challenging smaller end.
They’re hygienic and easy to clean. There’s a reason stainless steel is used so often in hospitals and kitchens — it’s completely non-porous and can resist corrosion and rust with minimal care. This means that it is a breeze to clean! Simply wash steel toys with hand soap and warm water and dry with a clean cloth or towel. Do not use anything abrasive on steel and do not wash in the dishwasher (detergent and excessive humidity may corrode the metal). When drying and/or polishing, wipe in the directions of the polish lines for extra shine. Microfiber cloth tends to work especially well for drying and polishing.
They’ll be yours for life. If you love your stainless steel toys and follow the simple rules to clean and care for them, they will last a very long time. They are phthalate-free (like all the toys we carry) and will not fade or break down. Just store your steel toy in a padded bag (such as our locally-made Appetite bags) to protect it from bumps and scratches, and take care while washing, as it can get very slippery. Losing your grip may not harm the toy much itself, but the weight of the steel could put cracks in your sink or floor tiles if dropped!
While some may find the weight and polished look of stainless steel a bit surgical or intimidating, others love it exactly for those reasons, and all of the reasons above. While no sex toy material in the world is perfect for everyone, stainless steel can be an excellent investment if you are looking for a beautiful toy that is smooth, heavy, and lasts a lifetime.
Welcome to She Bop’s blog!
She Bop is a women-owned sex toy boutique specializing in body safe products and education. Our mission is to promote healthy and safe sexuality by offering quality products and educational workshops in a fun and comfortable environment. She Bop welcomes people of all genders and sexual orientations.
- March 1, 2017 – Pleasure, Power, and Pain: An Introduction to BDSM
- March 9, 2017 – BJs with AJ: A Fellatio Workshop
- March 19, 2017 – Dropping the Hint, Not the Ball: Flirting 101 with Andre Shakti
- March 22, 2017 – Fisting & Manual Sex with Andre Shakti
- April 2, 2017 – Introduction to Rope Bondage
- April 16, 2017 – Nasty Naughty Negotiation!
- April 20, 2017 – Sex & Cannabis
- April 26, 2017 – Exploring Burlesque: Striptease Salon
- Oh hey! We're having a sale on @GladRags menstrual products! Get some cloth pads or one of their new menstrual cups… https://t.co/Ir0Rb7rnBg
- The answer is yes! We are open regular hours today at both locations, 11 am to 7 pm. Come see us!
- This weekend at @Loon_bar: a night of mingling, music, and fundraising for Planned Parenthood (@PPCW)! https://t.co/zeA9yvpr2P
- This Sunday, come celebrate the launch of @GladRags' new menstrual cup! There will be champagne, treats & prizes 🍾 https://t.co/AlDdGyFeZZ
- Did you know we have extended hours through Valentine's Day? 🌹 We're open until 8 pm at both locations! https://t.co/HMEoWo2vRJ
- Feeling spontaneous? 2 spots just opened up in our Joys of Toys class tonight at 7:30! Call us to snag 'em. https://t.co/tbVIWNOXnP
- V-Day is next week! Eek! 💖 Need gift ideas for someone (or yourself)? @Amory_Jane has you covered on our blog. https://t.co/bNW0YqT50e
- .@eclipticbrewing are donating 10% of sales tomorrow to a team member, Alvie, to help with his medical expenses. Go have some eats & drinks!
- What a comprehensive guide to menstrual cups! Love the inclusive language & the options for folks with low cervixes. https://t.co/9MKPjKPjbu
- Need a date idea for V-Day evening? Look no further than @mysteryboxpdx, where sexy storytelling takes center stage! https://t.co/AW5XC9l9xd
- Basic Rights Oregon
- Bitch Magazine
- Bradley Angle
- BUST Magazine
- Dirty Playground
- In Other Words
- LGBTQ Student Resources & Support
- Mississippi Studios
- Orchestre L'Pow!
- Pants-Off Productions
- Portland Oregon Women's Film Festival
- Portland Women's Crisis Line
- Progressive Pleasure Club
- Pucker Up
- Q Center
- Queer Resource Center
- Quest Center for Integrative Health
- Raphael House
- The Portland Mercury