We’ve been hit with a few scorching days here in PDX recently, which got us thinking about ways to beat the heat. Sometimes hot days can feel unbearable and not at all conducive to sexy times. But with a little creativity, sex and masturbation don’t have to be uncomfortable at all — in fact, they can be super fun.
Here are some tips for making the best of a hot day!
- Do you own a glass or metal sex toy? These materials are perfect for hot weather! Prepare a bowl of cold water and let your toy soak in it for several minutes before use. Set the water bowl on your nightstand so you can give your toy some quick refresher dips amidst play. You can even refrigerate your toys, but always check the temperature of the toy on your arm before using it.
- While you’re in the kitchen, why not refrigerate your lube? This is a good solution if you want to use a toy that doesn’t retain temperature as easily as glass or metal ones.
- Prep your play area so you can avoid overheating during sex or masturbation. Lay a towel on the bed, point a fan at yourself, and spritz yourself with water from a spray bottle whenever you get too hot.
- Ice cubes can be your savior! Use them to trace along nipples and other erogenous zones. Incorporate them into partner play by holding them in your mouth during oral sex. If you want to go wild with ice cubes or water without worrying about the drip, consider buying a super absorbent blanket like the Throe or Courtesy Pad.
- Use a stimulating gel such as Sliquid Stimulating O Gel or Love Button. The sensation will vary from person to person, but these can provide a tingly, chilly feeling. Heighten the stimulation by having a partner blow on the area where the gel was applied.
- A favorite desperate measure during heat waves has always been to go somewhere that’s air-conditioned, but with a remote-controlled vibe like the LELO Lyla or Bnaughty Unleashed, you can turn this momentary reprieve into a sneaky, sexy game. One partner wears the vibe internally while the other controls the remote. Go to an air-conditioned restaurant or a theater together and the vibrations will have you forgetting about the heat in no time.
- If you have access to a private swimming pool or lake, rendezvous there with a partner and/or a waterproof toy (perhaps a vibrating rubber duckie of your choice?).
- If not, take a cool shower with a partner and/or a waterproof toy instead. Don’t forget the silicone or oil-based lube! It’ll keep things slick without washing away. Excellent toys for the shower include waterproof vibes like the We-Vibe Touch, and dildos with suction cup bases, like Raquel. Just remember: silicone lube is incompatible with silicone toys, and oil-based lube is incompatible with latex.
Do you have any techniques for staying cool while still enjoying sex? Tell us in the comments!
Welcome to She Bop’s blog!
She Bop is a women-owned sex toy boutique specializing in body safe products and education. Our mission is to promote healthy and safe sexuality by offering quality products and educational workshops in a fun and comfortable environment. She Bop welcomes people of all genders and sexual orientations.
- April 2, 2017 – Introduction to Rope Bondage
- April 16, 2017 – Nasty Naughty Negotiation!
- April 20, 2017 – Sex & Cannabis
- April 26, 2017 – Exploring Burlesque: Striptease Salon
- May 4, 2017 – Beyond Monogamy
- May 17, 2017 – Wet & Wild: G-spot and Squirting Orgasms
- June 1, 2017 – Back That Ass Up!: Anal Sex 101
- June 11, 2017 – Sex and Survivorship: Navigating Sex After Cancer
- Rokudenashiko's pussy-themed art led her to be jailed twice for acts of "obscenity." Now she has graphic memoir! https://t.co/6RZrj4aFU5
- Last chance! Enter to win tickets to the next Whoopee: A Sex-Positive Variety Show, a night of fun and sexiness! https://t.co/YJwW92soNx
- We love when innovative toys get upgrades! The updated OhMiBod Club Vibe 3.OH vibrates in response to ambient sound. https://t.co/5eQaHMdvt8
- You don't want to miss Whoopee: A Sex-Positive Variety Show, hosted by our very own @Amory_Jane! Enter to win tix: https://t.co/YJwW92soNx
- Oxyd Creations recently came out with a collar & cuffs. All their stuff is vegan and made from recycled bike tubes! https://t.co/ep1RpWCz46
- Love the power of wand vibrators, but prefer pinpoint stimulation? Get this fun attachment & upgrade your fave wand! https://t.co/C9y5roJfVb
- Want a fun night out this month? We're giving away a pair of tickets to Whoopee: A Sex+ Variety Show! Enter here: https://t.co/VRIMxRK6Ko
- Wanna make sparks fly? Check out the Neon Wand, a toy that discharges static electricity across the skin's surface. https://t.co/SF5Kpcz8XD
- Basic Rights Oregon
- Bitch Magazine
- Bradley Angle
- BUST Magazine
- Dirty Playground
- In Other Words
- LGBTQ Student Resources & Support
- Mississippi Studios
- Orchestre L'Pow!
- Pants-Off Productions
- Portland Oregon Women's Film Festival
- Portland Women's Crisis Line
- Progressive Pleasure Club
- Pucker Up
- Q Center
- Queer Resource Center
- Quest Center for Integrative Health
- Raphael House
- The Portland Mercury